~Little Voices~

Friday, August 19, 2011

Encounter The Land of South: New Zealand Episode 3

This is last post for my New Zealand trip and related travel information.
Let's talk about winter wear, normally 3-4 layers are required especially for us Malaysians that never experience winter before. For upper torso, you can have T-shirts, sweaters, jackets or even better, puffer jackets, hoodies are optional because you also wear beanie or ear muffs to keep your ears warm. For the lower body, you can wear legging inside your long pants and be sure to wear socks. Make sure your whole body is air-tight to keep warm. Other things you need to have include scarves and gloves.

The maximum temperature in South Island of NZ is usually around 10 degree Celsius with the North Island being 16. Some areas can go below zero so always check the weather forecast before heading to your destination. 
Winter apparel example. Jia Pei and I as models..^^

Now let's continue with my trip. I fell sick after coming back from Queenstown ( I'm just too weak, haiz..), so I didn't go anywhere on the 7th day and 8th day. 

9th DAY
The World's Steepest Street
Finally, I cannot stand the boredom to rest all day due to my sickness. I insisted Jia Pei to bring me out. However, we already cut out several original destinations such as the Botanical Garden and St. Claire Beach. So in the end, we took a bus (just a normal bus will do) from town to the World's Steepest Street -Baldwin Street. If you go by yourself, you might easily mistaken the streets nearby as the Steepest Street because everyone of them look very steep.
Somewhere at the lower part of the street ( right side red house) is a souvenir shop and you can a certificate for NZD2 (which I think is not worth it)
 At its maximum, the slope of Baldwin Street is about 1:2.86 (19° or 35%) – that is, for every 2.86 metres travelled horizontally, the elevation rises by 1 metre.

 There are stairs at the right side of the road if it is too hard to climb along the slope. Close to the top, there will be a resting bench and on the top, a bench and a water cooler. It feels very scary when you see cars going up or down as such a steep street. Many climb the street as a kind of exercise. As for that day, there was a old madam in sports attire that climb the street. We also tried to climb it. Though I am still very sick and through all those huffing and puffing, we managed to reach the top. With all that sweat, I'm feeling so much better of my illness!

 View from the top. Yup, you can't even see the bottom. When going down, it is much scarier, so we chose to use the stairs. Just when we are leaving, a group of Hong Kong tourists came!

Cadbury Dunedin has an annual chocolate festival around late July. 1 of the event is the Jaffa race which is carried out here at Baldwin Street. Jaffa's which are large round orange lollies, hard candy on the outside and chocolate on the inside are rolled down Baldwin St, the world's steepest street. Each jaffa is numbered with a paper sticker and at the end of the jaffa first through a chute is declared the winner and some lucky person gets a prize. For more information, please check out http://www.chocolatecarnival.co.nz/

10th DAY
1st Part: Otago Museum
Otago Museum is an extensive museum of 3 floors and many galleries with different themes: Southern Land, Southern people, Tangata Whenua, Pacific Cultures, People of the World, Maritime, Animal Attic, Nature etc. When I went over, there is even a gallery for rugby, Glass work by a certain artist and Otago wildlife photography competition.
Admission is free.
 The garden in front of the museum, don't you just love it. There are 2 giant disc at the other side, an experiment for kids to do sound transmission.

 Beautiful flowers to attract butterflies in front

 Souvenir shop

 Maritime gallery, there is a big surprise in this gallery and I am going to keep it secret ^^
 Time capsule

 Pretty girl in front pretty kimono. Haha, syok sendiri

 Moa

 A mannequin

 Rugby exhibition

 Search site, useful for searching information here, there is even a computer room

The museum as from front view

2nd Part: Te Whare Wananga o Otago
The University of Otago (Maori: Te Whare Wananga o Otago) is the oldest university in New Zealand, founded in 1869 by a committee including Thomas Burn (remember the sculpture in episode 1?).
 A lecture house I think

 Somewhere behind the clocktower complex

 The South archway

 The Clocktower building, also the registry building, the symbolic building of the university.

 Water of Leith

This is truly a university in a garden


11th DAY
~Finally Flying ~
Early in the morning, I set out to the airport by the shuttle service, carrying my things, full of memories and mostly nervousness as I am flying by my own. ( and for the first time too!)
Right at the airport, there is ice on the floor. I straight away headed to Air NZ to check in. I have the fright of my life that morning. Due to ice on the runway, many flights are cancelled or delayed. Luckily, mine did not cancelled but delayed from 10am till 12, my next flight is at 3pm. I was waiting helplessly at the airport for 4 hours. Worst still, I didn't have any voice that day due to my sickness. Some of the people on the same flight are very kind, they assured me everything will be alright and stand beside me.  Finally, when we get on board, I am feeling more relieved.
As mentioned before, along Air NZ flights, they will give us free candies ( they are really helpful for dizziness), coffee and tea...Seating beside me is a middle-aged woman from Rotorua. I was worried about my next flight but she assured me that I will be in time. Even until we reach Christchurch airport, she came over to ask if I am fine, really thank her a lot. I couldn't find my bag at first. After several futile attempts asking people at the counter, finally a pretty officer came to my help and told me where should I go to claim my bag. When I finally finish checking in and stuff, I have no time left for my lunch but to go to the boarding deck already.
Munching on my bread ( my lunch, how pitiful), the flight change the boarding gate but I am much more calmer compared to the morning.
 Pre-booked entertainement tablet but really no movie to watch.. T.T Boring 11 hours

 Christchurch airport

 AirAsia, I was sitting next to a Korean guy (well, not handsome) but very kind. We did chat for a while. Poor guy didn't get his water bottle filled (because he thought cannot bring own water on flight and he could not find the water filler). In the end, when I finish my water and bought a lemon tea from the air steward, I also bought a mineral water for him. ( I am kind, I know LOL). He is so grateful that when we reach KL, he help me to bring down my things.

The night sky

Other places to visit in Dunedin:
Botanic Gardens- go in spring
Olveston-historic home with 35 rooms ( http://www.olveston.co.nz/)
Sports Hall of Fame- inside Dunedin Railway Station
Carisbrook- Home of Otago rugby
Glow worms- http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255119-c104491/Dunedin:New-Zealand:Glow.Worms.Cave.Thats.Free.html
Hot Salt Water Pool- at St Clair beach
Tunnel beach- sea-carved sandstone cliffs, rock arches and caves and walking track
St Claire beach and St Kilda Beach- enjoy the sea breeze

That is all for my NZ trip, hope all these posts help.

2 comments:

  1. seems like da trip u back also not bad ya,can communicate wif diff ppl,korean guy summore,lolXD~
    hope u enjoy ur trip,hehe=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sadly, korean guy not entao de...haiz, not consider 艳遇

    ReplyDelete